I have two grows side by side to see which performs best. The seeds are a mix between Cress, Basil and to be honest a few unknown seeds.
This grow is hydroponics. I’m using a 2 litre bottle with the top cut off and filled with a SNAP mix (a liquid fertiliser). For the grow medium I’m using a fibre like material and I’ve added an air stone to increase oxygen to the roots.
This is a standard soil set up. The pot is a mix of old and new soil.
During the first week or two, a small halogen light was used, switching from one grow to the other each night.
8th Nov (4 days into the grow)
11th Nov (7 days into the grow)
16th Nov (12 days into the grow)
Since I’ve removed the halogen lighting, I built a reflector using some reflective paper (PHP17) and a cardboard box. While it’s not reflecting as well as other materials would, it appears to be doing a reasonable job. You can see that the plants have become some what of a mess now. They’re inter-winding and having difficulties standing up because they’ve stretched so much towards the light but still have weak thin stalks. Hopefully the reflector will help balance the direction of the light.
21 Nov (17 days into the grow)
Since the plants are still having trouble standing up on their own (weak stalks), I’ve added an oscillating fan to the grow room. It does not run all the time. It’s on a timer to come on and off throughout the day for brief periods of time. This should help strengthen the plants.
25th Nov – Gave over
I decided to try an organic plant food (liquid) to promote growth in the plants. A small amount was sprayed on the plants growing in soil and those growing hydroponically. Unfortunately the hydroponic plants all died within 12 hours of being sprayed, the soil plants remain okay. I knew that plants grown hydroponically were sensitive (constant checking of water PH level etc) but didn’t really just how sensitive they were! Lesson learnt, only use solutions made specifically for hydroponics!